For my Media Management class I am keeping a log of all the media I consume for two weeks. Here is my first entry from yesterday, September 3.
"My significant media experience today was an early morning reading blogs. I first checked all my favorite blogs and then added some new ones to my RSS feed (Goodle Reader has some great recommendations). I read about local and worldwide news, fashion trends in NYC, what’s “hot” in Utah Valley, how to make a tissue paper flower (they are quite easy and the results make a beautiful centerpiece), and how to turn my 80’s furniture pieces into items I wouldn’t be afraid to show off in my living room. I became aware of this particular medium because it is my absolute favorite way to gather information! I love reading blogs because I feel like I’m getting to know people on a more intimate level than with any other medium. The bloggers are sharing what is most important to them with someone they don’t even know; someone who just happens to read their blogs religiously (that would be me).
The blogs I read definitely influenced me. I now want to throw a party just for an excuse to make those pretty paper flowers, and I’m ready to buy a can of paint tonight and refinish all my furniture so I can finally move my 80's style table and chairs from the garage to the house. I also saw pictures of fashionable folks in NYC and thought to myself, “Man, I really need those boots! And that scarf!” Would those thoughts have spontaneously popped into my mind had I not been influenced by the stellar photos on The Sartorialist’s blog? Most likely not.
I feel fairly conscious of my frequent blog reading. My husband sometimes teases that I love being on my “internet machine” more than talking to him (which is completely false, by the way). Because of this assignment, however, I realize how my blog writers are really opinion leaders whose followers hang on their every word, just waiting for them to relay the latest fashion advice or home remodeling techniques. In many situations I am the control-hungry leader, wanting everything my way because it’s the best way and cringing when anyone else tries to change my opinion, but when it comes to blogging I’m just another follower."
I Do Now
2 days ago

No comments:
Post a Comment